Toyama prefecture is located at the centre of Japan and serves as a gateway of the Sea of Japan. Surrounded three sides by steep mountains and faced to the deep sea, Toyama is blessed with rich nature where people can enjoy sublime scenery and tasty foods at the same time.
- World Heritage Site
- Gokayama’s historic Gassho-style thatched-roofed farmhouses were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the cultural category in 1995. The two settlements of farmhouses – Ainokura and Suganuma – are a humbly beautiful remnant of what can be called Japan’s original landscape.
- Alpine Route
- Discover another world above the clouds, created by ranges of mountains 3,000m high. The Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route is one of the world’s best mountain sightseeing routes, with services such as cable cars, ropeways and trolley buses making it easy for you to get around. Each season brings a new and beautiful natural panorama.
- Known as nature’s fish, Toyama Bay is a treasure trove of seafood resources from which various types of fish can be caught. Because the fishing grounds are so close to the port the sushi is made from outstandingly fresh ingredients.
- Hot Springs
- A hot spring resort with a size unrivalled by any other resort in Toyama. The abundant alkaline simple hot spring water is said to be the clearest in all of Japan, and is famous for leaving your skin smooth and beautiful. There’s no greater bathing experience than looking down at the scenic gorge in the valley from Unazuki’s open air baths.
Depart HAKUBA to TOYAMATravel to Toyama Prefecture
The Access Snow liner (Rhythm HAKUBA - 14:00)
Arrival at JR Toyama Station (Bus stop 8 - 17:30)
Check in at 3 star class hotel
TOYAMA and GOKAYAMA ExperiencePick up 1 day free pass at Toyama Station
Get on and off anywhere between Toyama station and Sasara-kan
National Treasure Zuiryu-ji Temple, Takaokayama
World Heritage - Ainokura, Suganuma Gassho-style Village
Upgrade plan available / 1 day bus tour (Extra cost $46 pp.)
Depart TOYAMA to TOKYOTravel to Toyama Airport
The Access Airport Bus (JR Toyama Station - Bus stop 6)
19:40 Flight to Tokyo
(Tokyo Haneda Airport Terminal 2 - 20:45)
- History of Gokayama
- In the Edo Period (1603-1867), the people of Gokayama played a major role in the Kaga Domain as its biggest producer of nitre, an ingredient for explosives. As a result, the region received thorough protection from the rulers of the domain, prospering so greatly that the area was filled with rows of large gassho-style farmhouses.
- What Are Gassho-style Houses?
- Gassho is a building style unique to the Gokayama area, designed to withstand its heavy snow. A distinctive characteristic of gassho-style farmhouses is their steep thatched roofs, said to have been designed to make it easy for snow to slide off. “Gassho” is Japanese for pressing one’s hands together in prayer, which the shape of the roof resembles.
- About Gokayama Folk Songs
- Gokayama is known for its rich heritage of folk songs that remain to this day. Its two most famous folk songs, Kokiriko and Mugiya-bushi, are designated as Intangible Cultural Properties of Japan. Many others are still alive today, including Gokayama Oibun-bushi and Toichinsa, and their heartfelt melodies still stir the emotions of visitors today.
- National Treasure Zuiryu-ji Temple, Takaokayama
- Famous for its magnificent temple complex with the elegant beauty of symmetry. Designated as National Treasure in 1997. The designated structures are the Somon gate, the Sanmon gate, the Buddha Hall, the Lecture Hall, the Myoo-do Hall (currently a meditation hall) and the Cloister.
- Shogawa Pleasure Cruise
- This is a lake cruise that allows you to admire the scenery of each changing season. The seasons of fresh greenery and autumn leaves are particularly beautiful, creating enchanting landscapes for the pleasure boat passengers. Both body and mind will be healed by the beautiful views of the mountains.
Upgrade plan available
1 Day Gokayama Walk, Kokiriko Folk Songs and Shogawa Cruise Trip
・ A short cruise along the beautiful Shogawa river gorge
・ Enjoy a walk in the village with gassho-style houses
・ Come appreciate Japan's oldest folk song
$46 ( pp. )
- ・ A short cruise along the beautiful Shogawa river gorge
Snow Liner (From Hakuba to Toyama)
1 Day Free Pass Schedule
Flight Schedule from Toyama To Tokyo (Haneda)
|Airline||Flight No.||Departure Time||Arrival Time|